Monday, February 22, 2010

How to hold a bansuri

Different people have different ways of gripping the flute. The only thing that you should keep in mind is that you should be comfortable while holding the instrument.

If you are right handed then you would use the left hand to cover the top three holes of the flute and the right hand for the bottom three or four holes depending upon what style of playing you follow.

There are at least two common ways of holding the flute - The Pt. Panna Lal Ghosh style and the Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia style.
Pt. Pannalal Ghosh Technique

In this style the holes are covered by the tips of the fingers. By using the finger tips to close the holes the right hand can be stretched to cover the seventh hole of the bansuri. The following picture shows Pt. Pannalal Ghosh holding the flute.
Pt. Pannalal Ghosh style of holding the bansuri
Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia Technique

In this style, the flat portion of fingers, and not the tips, are used to cover the holes.
Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia style of holding the flute

In order to understand this style better, role over the following image to see what portions of the fingers are used to cover which holes. Also, keep in mind that the lines on your fingers should not be over the holes as that will lead to leakage of air.

See the proper holding technique here .

3 comments:

  1. Good article, one main point however that is always left un-answered is that if ma-pa meend is not possible with 6 hole bansuri, how does Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia or other good players play it? In so many songs, not able to play ma-pa meend is a big limitation. I am sure lot of Raags will also not be "perfect" without this. Please help with your comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. about me, I have learnt Bansuri on my own and can play reasonable well. I do not know Raags, I just play film songs and ma-pa limitation comes as a big deal for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. about me, I have learnt Bansuri on my own and can play reasonable well. I do not know Raags, I just play film songs and ma-pa limitation comes as a big deal for me

    ReplyDelete